Rocio and I had been heads down working hard for the early part of the year. With Rocio working two jobs (one for tax season) we just didn’t have any time to get outdoors.
So it was with much gusto we planned a free long weekend after her tax job was wrapped up. We spent hours and hours pouring over information about Texas State Parks and trying to find one that wasn’t going to be hit by a stereotypical Texas spring thunderstorm.
We also wanted this trip to be our first overnight backpacking experience. We had recently picked up some new gear such as some backpacking “kitchen” stuff and trekking poles that we wanted to try out for the first time.
So after a BUNCH of time investigating which Texas State Parks had primitive backpacking camp sites AND had decent weather in the forecast, there was really only one option; Caprock Canyons State Park.
The photos, videos and information we found online made the park sound pretty cool, so we were stoked about that. Also, bison!
Caprock Canyons State Park is home to the official State of Texas bison herd. For all the fun facts about the park, you can head over to it’s wikipedia page.
With reservations made for the primitive camp site, it was now just a few days waiting game for the weekend… then, the weather changed!
For the rest of the story, check out our two part video series on YouTube below 🙂
- Marmot Tungsten 3p tent: https://amzn.to/2wn2pyr
- Teton Sports Scout 3400 backpack: https://amzn.to/2IcYokz
- Backpacker’s Pantry Fettuccini Alfredo with Chicken: https://amzn.to/2KBOlUI
- Mountain House Chicken Fajita Bowl: https://amzn.to/2JUFqMY
- Mountain House Breakfast Skillet: https://amzn.to/2HRzeEH
- Anker Powercore Speed 20000: https://amzn.to/2JUDHXM
- Joby suction cup + gorilla pod for GoPro: https://amzn.to/2HPnoPq
- Joby GorillaPost for GoPro: https://amzn.to/2HRcEAk
- Wasabi Power batteries for GoPro: https://amzn.to/2rnO6ob
- GoPro Hero 6 Black: https://amzn.to/2JSxWtI
- DJI Osmo+: https://amzn.to/2w98b6q
- Platypus Water Tank: https://amzn.to/2JWqLB1
- Vapur 1.5L water bottle: https://amzn.to/2HVsLZE
- Coleman camp chair: https://amzn.to/2JTD2py
- Grayl Ultralight Water Purifier: https://amzn.to/2HPPiuN
- Tapirus long spoon + spork: https://amzn.to/2HNuNPg
This post is also available in: Español